12.12.2006

When Did College Become Easy??

I am an adjunct professor at a university which I will leave as anonymous right now to protect the innocent and..well..myself. Anyway...I teach classes online. I gave my students their final exam Monday. I asked them to complete a project that basically should cover their materials they learned over the course of the semester. I asked for some creativity in this project which would help them meet the minimum requirement of 6 pages. I was floored when I received several emails that stated how they didn't feel this was reasonable and that how could they be expected to complete something so comprehensive during finals. Huh? Isn't that the point? And hello, you have FOUR days! One student said, what if I had not have opened the instructions until the last day. Um..then you have poor time management skills and you'd get a grade reflecting that. They kept saying how stressed they were. Well kids, let's just say I am preparing you for real life. You know, when your boss expected that 20 page presentation yesterday, your kids need crap for their soccer game and oh, the mortgage is due. I guess things were just different back when I was in undergrad. I can't imagine ever bitching to a professor about a final and I'm sorry...a final exam is supposed to be hard and stressful. I guess these kids today just think that life is supposed to be handed to them and easy. Glad I don't teach rocket science. Sheesh!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Kimmy753 said...

Vicki..isn't it just disgusting? I think that is how most colleges are these days. I swear my graduate classes are easier than my undergrad (which I took oh..too damn many years ago). It is all about the money..sad isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Preaching to the choir, my friend. I think college students believe they are "consumers" and we are the "product" they're paying for. As students have said to colleagues, "Hey! My tuition pays your salary!" Subsequently, they want the best grade for the least work possible. Learning has NOTHING to do with the whole equation. Sigh.

Kimmy753 said...

Sad..so very very sad....