1.29.2007

Out, Out Damn Spot!!!!!!!

Well, Wednesday afternoon, I get a call from my endocrinologist saying the gastroenterologist wanted me to come in RIGHT NOW to do a biopsy on spot. So..of course.. I freak out. Why so sudden? There was no way I could go in for this procedure (called an ERCP) right then. I needed to shower, shave my legs, you know..prepare to be naked in front of a bunch of strangers. So..I go in on Thursday for the ERCP. An ERCP basically involves them knocking you out and putting a scope through your stomach, intestines, gallbladder and over to your pancreas. One is not allowed to eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to the procedure. I'm sure the docs and nurses were quite pleased when they started putting the tube down my throat and got a whiff of my 'I have had nothing to drink for 8 hours and am scared crapless' breath. SO..anyway..the good news is..I HAVE NOTHING!!!! No cancer, no abnormalities (well...at least not with my upper pancreas), nada, zip, no spot! Relief..well..it overwhelmed me.

That was the first thing I heard when I came to. I'm ok. I was relieved, but then I felt .. pain. The recovery nurse asked if I was ok. I replied, "well, my..um.. sphincter hurts". You could tell she was trying not to crack up..and frankly I was trying not to as well. I mean, come on.. sphincter..it is a funny word, and why did I get so clinical all of a sudden? Why didn't I just say, hey listen, my butthole hurts? I blame the anesthetic. So then they give me a good shot of morphine and BOOM .. sphincter pain be gone! Man..I can TOTALLY see how people get addicted to that stuff. It was gooooooddd. Apparently, I had that certain pain because they have to fill your intestines up with air in order to maneuver through. Fun times.

Although the ERCP was painful and scary, I'm so thankful I'm ok. ..and am SO thankful it is over. Now..I just need to find something else to stress out over! :) Type A personality? You betcha!

1 comment:

Shawnee said...

Yikes! Sounds scary, not to mention BEYOND painful. Glad everything went well!